As a Gas Safe registered engineer, you can report the installation of heat producing gas appliances, and the installation of heating and hot water systems connected to the gas appliance, through our online notification system.

Simply Log In by entering your User ID and Password, visit the Notifications area and click on Report Gas Work.

The cost to make a notification online is £2.20 plus VAT per notification.

When you report the work through us, we will send a Building Regulations Compliance certificate to the homeowner or builder and will advise the relevant Local Authority building control department of the work on your behalf.

There is no mandatory requirement to notify gas work in Northern Ireland or Scotland. However, although it is not mandatory, we encourage businesses to provide customers with a quality record of work; this can be done by making elected Declarations of Safety. You can do this online in the same way as mandatory notifications and once the notification has been received Gas Safe Register will provide your customer with a Declaration of Safety Certificate.

You should report the installation of any new or replacement flued gas appliances and non-flued fixed appliances that provide heating or hot water for your customers.

The types of work that require reporting are as follows:

Building Services Notifiable Work
Gas fired Heat Producing Appliances
Installation/replacement/commissioning of:
heating and hot water boilers;
warm air heaters;
independent space heaters (fires etc);
water heater/circulators;
Flued cookers and cooker-boilers; and
Micro-cogeneration appliances (micro-CHP)
Hot water Storage Vessels
Installation/ replacement /commissioning of:
Unvented hot water storage vessels >15 litre capacity
Installation of new:
Vented hot water storage vessels >15 litre capacity
Heating Services
Complete heating systems new or replacement YES
Replace part of an existing heating systems which alter performance or require re-commissioning of the boiler e.g. re-setting boiler input/output YES
Add to an existing heating systems which alter performance or require re-commissioning of the boiler e.g. re-setting boiler input/output YES
Install or replace a new flue system/flue liner YES

It is not a requirement of the Building Regulations, but if you want your customers to receive a certificate for cooker installations, you can report that through this notification system.

Please note, you can also report work by telephone if you wish. The cost is £3.50 plus VAT per notification. Call 0800 408 5577.

Gas Safe Register will not be running a reporting service for other fossil-fuelled appliances or for electrical or bathroom plumbing work.

Gas Safe Register processes this reportable work for the purpose of satisfying Building Regulations in England, Wales and Guernsey. The data is only used by Gas Safe Register for this purpose and will not be used for marketing purposes or supplied to commercial third parties for them to use for marketing purposes.

Visit our frequently asked questions to find out more information on notifications.


Download our notifications factsheet to help you understand the notifications process.

Download notifications factsheet >>


Setting up a direct debit is the convenient way to pay your renewal and notification fees.

Find out more >>


Subscribe today to give your business easier access to the industry standards.

Subscribe today >>